Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I would never have guessed

So today I made an effort before running a bunch of errands because you know, a week in Melbourne surrounded by lovely buildings and stylee men and women will do that to you, make you think twice about bothering to brush your hair and put on some mascara before you leave the house. So I was presentable.  And I am used to being IDed for alcohol, it's ridiculous but I figure if I was on a checkout I probably wouldn't look too closely at my customers either, just let them blur into a mass of impatient humanity.  But today was a new thing, humiliation on a whole nother level - got IDed, showed my licence, had it punched into the computer with excruiciating slowness and then had the supervisor assure me not once, not twice, but five times how young I look and how great that is.  The last time somewhere near the top of her vocal range as I ran out of the store with the baby on my hip and my sexy shopping of nappies, wine and steak bouncing around my trolley.  I don't know why this is such a big deal but it is.  I'm a mother, my boy is 8 and my baby is 1.  This shit shouldn't be happening to me anymore, and if it does I should have the poise to deal with it.

Every time I think I'm past the age of mortification it jumps up and takes another chunk out of my bum.  Lucky there's a lot to bite.

1 comment: